06 December, 2009

VISCOM | Taxonomy Redo

My first taxonomy was in desperate need of change. After brainstorming and coming down to a solid plan, I created an entirely new taxonomy. I have to say I am much more pleased with my final piece. I am proud to say I created a much more creative and complete piece.
Originally I had wanted to create a taxonomy that related to nature, but not parallel to my haiku animation. My first taxonomy was much too simple and was not fully thought out.
My final taxonomy molded into a journal of field notes. I created narrative of a nameless person hiking/researching in state of Wisconsin at Necedah National Wildlife Refuge. Throughout the handwritten notes the writer documents their findings and shows the denotative and connotative concepts. The small brown booklet is being written in a journal like narrative, complete with the writer's doodles and thoughts. Along with their doodles includes samples collected from the research and diagram drawings.
The entire book has a handmade scrapbooky feeling to it and would be considered a personal belonging:

Cover

Inside Title Page

Entry with layered transparency 

Entry without transparency

Wheat artifact

Wheat artifact closeup

Entry

Entry

Entry closeup

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool, Loren! There's an interactive tactile-ness to this that reminds me of Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine book series (one of my favorites). Nice job. I'd love to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! this book is a much more creative and complete piece. And shows your ability to take feedback from crit and make substantial evolution.

    bring this attitude - your robust, thorough, detailed, diverse, storytelling - into your work next semester (now I know you can do it!).

    and make these strides earlier on in a project so the artifact itself can go through the period of conceptual iteration and formal refinement that's necessary.

    ReplyDelete