20 October, 2009

FINAL STATEMENT: Juxtapostion Project

My final book was "Man-made", I chose this title because my pictures were all man-made creations. Which included different elements of our surroundings, such as metal, plastic, and even sand. Being such a broad topic, I did not base my book layout on a narrative or a continuable aspect. I merely used contrast, curves, diagonals, and the overall "flow" of the piece.
The pairing of the line studies with the photos was of course the hardest, but the greatest learning experience within the project. Using juxtapositions was a new concept, but after learning what to look for. I believe my book had a good variety of juxtapositions. I tried to place them in order by there content, not a narrative.
I hadn't really decided on an exact location to take my pictures in Kansas City. I had originally just decided to do the whole city. But when I visited the River Market, and began to walk the bridges and front streets, I decided this would be a great place to photograph my images. I was drawn to the riverfront because it would sound like or in some places, would be considered a natural place, with wildlife and beautiful foliage. But that of course wasn't the case in Kansas City. This was the beginning of my "Man-made" booklet.
When it came to refining my manipulations for our line studies, I though it would be sightly unneeded to make every line perfect, and really just not necessary. I would soon find out that this was not true. After looking back on my first tracings for my vector lines, I knew I had greatly improved. By refining my hand skill and perfecting it on paper, I learned that this greatly improves my digital craft. I was able to use the pen tool much more successfully and create beautiful line quality.
Transitioning from line studies into photographic elements was a really interesting process for me. I had a hard time with seeing the big picture at first. I think ultimately this project showed me to break things down to see the smaller picture. I really enjoyed finishing the book and knowing how much I developed it and the production process I went through. Looking through my process binder, I am proud of where I started from. I believe without all the steps we took, my book would not be as successful.

 


 
  
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. loren, your photographs are always lovely. thought i'd like you know.

    ReplyDelete