15 September, 2010

NA Project Three Detailed Narrative

For my detailed narrative project I decided to use a stop animation video using visual images to create a narrative about Kibera TV. While building my narrative I had to create good imagery to stand in for the things I couldn't actually say (like if I was using a voice over) I had to think of simple imagery for things like "youth" or "filming", and projection of the Kibera films. All while creating an interesting, understandable, timely animation. I learned that in order to create a successful one channel of communication narrative you need to use interesting angels and imagery, making clear what you are trying to convey.

When constructing my story I tried to build on top of the images in a way, using on imagery and transtioning it into another. On example of how I did this was starting the beginning with simple human figures, scaling down to emphasis "youths" while then showing the youth filiming. These images work together to create a narrative. I also brought the youth aspect of KiberaTV with the "do it yourself" feel. Child-like.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you used stop motion for the piece and how it was "hand drawn" because that brought the "youth" aspect to it. I wished the camera was static and the only thing that was moving was the lines/tape? that was drawing the images. Also, the consistency in the actual drawing was choppy so I kind of want to see it a bit more smooth. In terms of narrative, I read it as a youth group either filming something and then having that shown, or they are just viewing something on the screen, in Africa. So I guess the last figure confused me as to what they are doing because I can't tell if he is holding the camera or his arms are hidden behind the camera. I liked that you used "Ktv" instead of "Kibera TV" because it didn't dominate the story but for an outside viewer, would they know what Ktv was? I really like the idea and it gets the point across, it's just the actual filming part that needs to be worked on. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that your stylistic approach may not have been completely appropriate for Kibera TV. Is this more of a kids channel or made for adults? The use of stop motion and the rendering use of tape made for very shifty images which insinuates child like movement for me.

    The narration of your frames were clever with using one area to move different images around to create movement. The transition was very clear from one "morph" to another as well.

    The animation doesn't really give me a sense of what Kibera TV is about. These were my order of thoughts as a viewer:
    People projecting > Africa > TV > K TV; there isn't too much of a sense of personality to Kibera TV, personally speaking from the experience I got. But I do have to say, the use of color is a great touch in bringing life to the animation. (I'm glad you didn't use a straight up brown for the figures. I took me a couple views to realize that they were, indeed, from Africa.)

    ReplyDelete